Town of Smyrna
Assistant to the Town Manager / Municipal Clerk
Employment Status: Full- Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Grade: Band B
Classification: Non-Emergency Essential
Department: Administration Reports To: Town Manager Supervisory Responsibility: No
Primary Work Location: In/around the Town, with reporting, office duties and meetings at Town Hall and Town facilities.
I. Position Summary
This position provides technical and administrative support for various operational tasks in the Manager’s Office, including but not limited to: physical and digital document management for all non-police assets, as well as overseeing centralized contract/bidding needs; leading State archive records retention compliance; FOIA coordination; plus all necessary and assigned tasks associated with fulfilling the municipal clerk role for Town needs.
II. Essential Job Functions:
The below listed essential duties and responsibilities are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for this position.
• Ability to maintain a detailed and structured document management system for centralized non-police Town operations. This includes coordination for all non-police departments on behalf of the Town with the State Division of Public Archives.
• Efficiently and effectively maintain FOIA compliance, including open meeting State compliance with all Town Council and official public meetings. Coordinate and/or completion of minutes as needed.
• Perform legal postings and ensure associated Town compliance is met; this includes notices for bidding requests and other similarly associated needs.
• Support the Manager’s Office oversight of Town procurement requirements and compliance by the non-operating departments. This includes serving as lead team member with public bidding process, review, and recommendation.
• Support and backup Executive Assistant as needed to ensure continuity of operations; Executive Assistant shall service as primary backup to Assistant to the Manager/Municipal Clerk.
• Performs related duties as needed.
III. Experience Required:
• Demonstrated 3-5 years of administrative support responsibilities including but not limited to assessing customer needs, actively engaging clients, representing an organization at meetings, obtaining information from internal and external stakeholders to support goals and other general administrative demands as needed.
• Prior experience staffing public meetings, including preparation of agendas and meeting minutes. Local government, public sector experience desired.
• Demonstrated skills with detailed management of documents and meeting compliance deadlines.
• Proficiency with software applications, including Microsoft suite of applications.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality on personnel and legally sensitive information.
IV. Minimum Education Requirements:
• Associate Degree in Business, Management, or related field preferred.
• Commensurate years of experience and professional certifications will be considered in lieu of degree.
• Ability to work towards, obtain, and maintain Certified Municipal Clerk certificate, if not already possessed.
V. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of State Public Archives record retention requirements.
• Knowledge of State Freedom of Information Act requirements.
• Ability to independently maintain multiple and potentially competing deadlines to achieve compliance for FOIA compliance and task deadlines.
• Skills and ability to become proficient with Microsoft applications, as well as any additional software applications.
• Ability to analytically review and understand administrative documents and effectively communication to internal and external customers.
• Ability to project a professional, helpful image to create a sense of confidence internally and externally for the Manager’s Office.
VI. ADA Requirements:
• Work requires siting, standing, and working in an administrative office setting for extended periods of time. Occasional standing, walking, stooping, kneeling or crouching.
• Work requires ability to reach with hands and arms, talk and hear in order to answer the phone, verbally communicate. Repetitive movement of hands and fingers – typing and/or writing to draft written correspondences (physical and digital) to perform daily tasks.
VII. Additional Requirements:
• Possession and retention of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State of Delaware. All motor vehicle violations must be reported to supervisor immediately and a good driving record is required to retain position.